Creativity & Genre
The importance of creative and the creative process is essential when creating a magazine. For example, in the article An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life, says “creative self-efficacy is developed by taking creative action, making progress, receiving honest and supportive (i.e., improvement focused) feedback and encouragement from trusted others, observing relatable people creatively perform on tasks.... In short, creative self-efficacy is shaped by and helps shape our creative behaviors.” explaining that creativity is important for success. She also says, “Creative self-efficacy typically refers to our confidence to perform creatively on a particular task (or set of broader activities) in a particular situation and is influenced by a host of other factors, including our physiological and psychological state, the social situation, and the task at hand.” meaning that the level of creativity we have determines the confidence we have and by this, we can expand on ideas and choices.
In class we did a new introductions activity that embodied the idea of redefining the way we introduce ourselves. Instead of stating your name and ask the normal questions like how are you, we introduced ourselves with something a category and why those describe who we are. For example, my category was movies and TV shows, and one of my favorites is Grey’s Anatomy because I hope to be a PA someday. By doing this we creatively found a different way to describe ourselves.
We also watched a Ted Talk called The Theory of Creativity by Duncan Wardle. Throughout the talk he explained how creativity is different for everyone, he told everyone in the room to draw a house. He explained how he asked himself why does a house have to be a square with a triangle on top and a door in the middle of it, why can’t we draw a house not just the concept of a house. He also asked everyone to shout out where they come up with their best ideas, most people said shower, when they wake up, and fall asleep. Nobody in the entire room said when they are at work. He explained that we cannot access 87% of our subconscious when we are at work, he compared it to being in an argument because you have no time to think and five minutes later you always think to yourself “oh I could have said that!”. This ted talk really encompassed the way we think how we do and why creativity is so important. Overall, each of these, the ted talk, article, and introduction assignment, helped me understand how creativity works and how to expand and explore possibilities. This showed me that I have to be creative when I do my magazine and have confidence in my ideas to be able to be as successful as I can.
My research on others that have done the genre I chose showed me the importance of expressing opinions especially since women magazines don’t do that often. The creativity they showed in their work exhibited their passion and knowledge in the genre. This showed me what genre I believe I want to do for my project and how I want to do it.
Comments
Post a Comment